Monday, January 28, 2008

Gremlin! Bloopers

I finally got around to adding the old blooper reel from the Gremlin movie, which you can find here. The main reason I never added it before is because it's no picnic adding videos to your site and making sure they're compatible, reliable, etc. Just slapping a video on a page is no problem, but there's a reason YouTube coverts and posts your video for you: it's a big enough hassle that most people wouldn't bother. Especially little Mandy and Chad Q. Teenybopper, who make up probably 80% of YouTube's posts and have no web savvy skills beyond uploading of pictures of passed out friends on Myspace.

And speaking of YouTube, the web standard is now of course to use FLV, or Flash's video format. So it was quite an undertaking to make sure I knew how to properly use/convert/embed FLV, but it was made much much easier by this guy here. This programmer offers a free Flash-built web player for users to control your videos with, as well as a wizard to generate the code for embedding the video with tons of options I didn't even touch. Needless to say, I wouldn't have been able to make the jump to FLV without this site.

I have been changing tons of stuff around the site lately, all fairly minor, but each change presents it's own challenge. I've actually enjoyed all the problems I've run into so far, mainly because I have yet to find one I couldn't solve. This has just further made me hope I get that job doing the WV Encyclopedia website since I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys this light web stuff.

A change of note is the new interface I created for viewing my comic. The old one just didn't fit in with the rest of the site, and seemed too clunky.


No comments: